Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Proof of the Pudding

Ever heard the claim that horizontal workplaces aren't efficient? Unlike most naysayers, this video provides statistics and historical evidence. Watch it, even if mutualism isn't your cup of tea.



In related news, I've been invited to speak at the AltExpo later this month, and, if everything works out, I'm going to do so. For those of you who aren't familiar, it's put on during Liberty Forum, serving as something different for the otherwise right-centric libertarian movement. I was thinking of a topic that could appeal to both the "libcom crowd" and the "C4SS crowd", so I've decided to speak about building a new economy of solidarity and why solidarity-based institutions work much better than private charity. There's two books I'm going to pull my info from: America Beyond Capitalism and an anthology I received the other day called Life Without Money which touches on both free market anti-capitalism and gift economies. I might also want to mention how the system in Anarchist Catalonia was far more efficient than its predecessor. The only thing is, I'm awful at public speaking (since I get extremely nervous and have a bad habit of fidgeting). As well, I know that propertarians can be very condescending and I would expect them to release all sorts of strawman arguments during the Q&A. I hope there's no repeat of what happened at Milly's back in December.

In more related news, I had to talk to one of my advisors about my thesis the other day. She told me that the best way to prevent my philosophy paper from morphing into an anthropology paper is to focus on the values which grow out of our economy. It's always essential to ask "Why?" when writing these kinds of essays. I'm thinking I might include some details about solidarity economies (including market-based ones) and the values they promote and create if it fits. Let's see what I can find.

2 comments:

  1. I just read "Life Without Money" which had some really good articles. I would check out the one by John O'Neil which focuses on the Economic Calculation Debate. I think you will find this a good resource for the project you are working on. However, the book does lack in some areas. It doesn't spend enough time focusing on HOW a moneyless society would work and address specific concerns asked by others. They and others really should explain how powerful a non-market based economy could be since you can get it to do whatever you want include getting rid of issues like obsolescence and progress toward post-scarcity, reduce working hours, and create sustainable decent communities.

    On a side note, I just happened to come across a video of someone interviewing you at the NH protest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll see if I can find it.

    Was it this video? As usual, the comments are pretty strawmanny.

    ReplyDelete